Control of Combustion Appliances
- Increase indoor air quality
- Increase combustion safety
How It's Done:
A very tight house becomes much more sensitive to pressure changes. Gas appliances typically draw air around them to burn and vent combustion gasses through a funnel type hood. A house insulated with Icynene foam insulation should not have any natural draft, or open combustion appliances anywhere within the envelope of the home.
The options are:
- Use electric appliances
- Locate gas water heaters in the garage
- Make sure fireplaces have their own outside air supply
- Use sealed combustion gas heaters
- Locate natural draft gas heaters in a utility closet and provide that closet with a supply of combustion air from the outside
Following these recommendations will eliminate the potential for backdrafting of smoke, carbon monoxide, and other combustion gases into the living space.